Friday, January 25, 2013

Preparations for 100th Day of School!

So, can I just say that I really enjoy all the fun things about teaching . . . such as the 100th day of school! The  actual teaching part~I hope I enjoy that as much in the near future. As of right now I am struggling with the classroom management during my lesson that I am teaching. One certain child has been testing me to see if I will actually make him do what he is supposed to do, etc. I'm doing my best but it is very challenging and exhausting, and at times discouraging. The verse that came to my mind after my lesson today was James 1:2-4. "Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that it is mature and complete, not lacking anything." This verse doesn't directly speak of teaching but it spoke to me as I realized that God is trying to teach me patience and perseverance. It's definitely a hard lesson to learn but I am grateful for it. Also, Philippians 4:13 comes to mind. "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength."

Well, enough of that deep stuff. The purpose of this post is to show my preparations for the 100th day of school, which is coming up on Monday! I am so excited for this! I always remember loving the 100th day of school when I was in elementary school so it's fun to be on the other side. :) Miss Baker has the students wear a shirt that has 100 things on it as a fun project. When I first heard of this I was like, "What?!" But, I searched on Pinterest and found some great ideas. :) The one I fell in love with is a gumball machine with 100  pom poms as gumballs. So, I took a trip to Meijer to retrieve all the things I needed. The most expensive thing was the pom poms cuz I wanted them to match the shirt I bought. Lol. So, here is my pictorial of me making my shirt. Let me just say that it was a little harder than I thought. 

Here are all my supplies: t-shirt, felt, pom poms, and fabric glue. 

Attempting to cut out a gumball machine that looks decent. Lol.

Doesn't look too bad. The top got chopped down considerably later. Lol. 

Time to start gluing on pom poms! Now those took forever!

Gluing some pom poms on . . . 

My friend, Montana, graciously took some pics for me. :)

She's a creative one. :) 

And, some more pom poms! 

Finally, 100 pom poms glued on. I know, it doesn't look like that many, but I counted them . . . several times. 

So, as I was gluing on the whole gumball machine to the shirt, the glue decided to break open. This caused much chaos, as you will see shortly. It was highly messy, also! Oh, and did I mention that the package said the toxic ingredients could cause cancer. Oh, joy. 

The finished product. :) 

So, that huge spot on the bottom left is a result of the glue breaking open. It makes me sad. :( 

My attempt to get some of the glue off . . . Yeah, it didn't really work, unfortunately. 

Other than the huge glue glob, I really like my 100th day shirt! It was a lot of fun to make. I can't wait to wear it on Monday. :) I will do an update on how the day went. :) 

1 comment:

  1. You did good!!! Despite the trials. :) Very clever idea, mah dear! The kids will love it.

    ReplyDelete