Friday, January 18, 2013

Week One of Many

Well, I have now been student teaching for 4 full days! I have mainly been observing but I have also cut out a billion die cut hearts, worked individually with some students, helped out during recess, bathroom break, and lunch, and numerous other things. I just gotta say that I love the things that kindergarteners say! During show and tell the other day, a little girl showed the class how she had lost her two front teeth the night before. As she smiled and showed the class, another little boy said, "I saw that on Facebook." Haha that cracked me up! I didn't expect him to say that at all. I guess that 5-year-olds browse Facebook nightly these days. That's  probably the funniest thing I have heard so far. 

Today, I got my first picture from a student in my class. :) It totally made my day better. The funniest thing is that the child who gave it to me is probably the worst behaved kid in the class, but he is so sweet. He described his picture as a falling tower of food including a bunch of fruits and vegetables plus some chocolate. Here is it pictured below:

So, as promised, here is an in-depth description of my student teaching survival kit from my cooperating teacher, Miss Baker. :) Here is the sheet she included in the kit. The sayings above each photo is what it says on the paper. 

Animal cookies for when the classroom seems like a zoo.

Band-aids for when things get a little rough.

Chewing gum to help you stick to it. 

 Crayons to color your day bright and cheerful.

Erasers to remind you everyone makes mistakes. 

A Mounds bar for the mounds of confidence you can give the students.

Paperclips to hold it all together.

Pencils to "write your wrongs."

Hand sanitizer to keep you happy and healthy.

Starbursts to give you a "burst" of energy when you need it.

Lotion to help you have a smooth semester.

A toothpick to help you "pick" out the good qualities in others and yourself.

Tissues to wipe away the tears . . . yours and theirs. 
And a little something extra to help you get back to the daily grind. :)

 And a cool smelly marker! :)

 Well, that's about it for now. I absolutely loved my basket and I hope you did too! :)

2 comments:

  1. I like clever Miss Baker already! Glad you had a good week! 11 more to go. :)

    And that FB comment was hilarious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea and yes indeed, Miss Baker is very clever! I hope it gave you a good start on surviving the next few weeks. You are an amazing lady, Rae. I know you will do a great job and make a lasting impression on the kids you will be teaching. A GOOD lasting impression....i might add! haha :)

    ReplyDelete